Thursday, November 3, 2016

Districts, Avenues, and Streets

Where to start....

Well, I wish I had more to show but for a few weeks I was a bit preoccupied with something that could have changed my life quite a bit, but unfortunately things didn't pan out as I had hoped. No worries though, I'll just keep trucking along :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Onto the city. Designing a city isn't a small task, so I've trying to find ways of getting the concept across with as little work as possible. In that regard, I will go with a modular set up, repeating a lot of similar buildings, unless they are important. I also felt like it would be great if you could actually stand in the city to really sell the scale (also outside the city, but that will probably be an aerial shot... that's a whole other story).

While trying to wrap my brain around that I just happened to find a great image on Reddit:


This is a really awesome shot of Tehran, the capital of Iran.

That. That is what I am going to do.
Here's a quick concept of it:

Person for scale!


Just imagine lots of buildings along the streets and surrounding the citadel :)

The green strip in the middle will be a park with trees and such. Much like the Commonwealth Avenue Mall.

Originally the central highway was going to open (like it is in the bottom of the concept picture) the whole way towards a tunnel near the base of the Citadel. The new setup allowed for me to add in this "mall" which I think really adds a lot, aesthetically.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With all that squared away, I was able to get a map that is just about done. While preparing the following image for the post I noticed a mistake in the block sizes nearest the central avenue (you may catch it.) Thankfully it's a pretty quick fix.


This close up of District 1 and 2 shows the street layout, including traffic and parking lanes, sidewalks, and traffic direction.


  • A and B pertain to what I talked about above.
  • C are the "major" streets. The vertical ones being "major avenues," horizontal being "major streets." As you can see, the major avenues head inwards, but not shown is the other side where they head outwards. The major streets separate each district.
  • D is the "minor" avenues and streets. They split the districts up to more manageable block size.
  • E and District 1 are the only parts to be on solid ground. Route E would follow the cliff connecting each arm and beyond. (I'm still working on a large map to show all that.)
  • F is where I might put a traffic circle or something along those lines so that Avenue C and Route E can continue outwards without a traffic light.


Two things that might change; the direction of travel for the major avenues and the other being I might only have one minor street splitting the Districts. It all depends if I can make the traffic flow correctly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there's more than I thought there would be but it's 2 am. Tomorrow I will make another post going into detail about size and hill grades. Exciting stuff!

Also, I'll edit spelling and shit tomorrow. I'm too sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment